Historical Markers

This plaque is located at 8487 Greig Street, Sodus Point on the north side of the street on the Green Way path by the Oscar Fuerst baseball field.

 

GPS Coordinates:  Latitude:   43.270520      Longitude:  -76.980570

 

The Interpretive Panel reads:

 

The Great Lake Seaway Trail region was the vital transportation and communication link between France and her colonies.

The struggle for control of this area was essential to the early settlers.

This interpretive panel is one of twenty along the Seaway Trail.  On July 1, 1759,  Gen.  John Prideaux’s army camps in Sodus Point on their way to besiege Fort Niagara as part of the overall strategy for dominion of North America.

Twenty years before American colonists declared their independence from Great Britain , another great conflict was fought between 1754 and 1763 for control of North America.

Popularly known as the French & Indian War, the struggle began as a contest for the Ohio River Valley and quickly developed into a multinational struggle fought throughout North America and in Europe, Asia and on the high seas.

The war pitted Britain and her American colonists along the Atlantic seaboard against the French and their colonists in Canada, the Great Lakes Basin and Louisiana. Native peoples supported both sides, but early in the war France had the upper hand in recruiting Native warriors to her cause.

Besides determining that England, not France, would control the American interior, the war had other far-reaching consequences. Many future leaders of America’s revolutionary cause received their early military training in this conflict. American attitudes about Native peoples also hardened during the war’s long years of violent border warfare.

 

Norse Spear Head

 On Sodus Bay at Charles Point a Viking spear point was found in 1929 by Augustus Hoffman while repairing his boat. It was  properly identified from a study by the University of Toronto as being of Norse manufacture and dating to about 1000 AD.

 

 

 

The Spear Head now resides at the Wayne County Museum in Lyons, NY.

For more information,

click this link: https://historicsoduspoint.com/viking-spear-head/

WW II POW Camp

   Sodus Point WII POW Camp

               

  • Was one of four WW II POW Camps in Wayne County
  • The camps were necessary because of the severe labor shortage during the war
  • Was located on what is now South Shore RV Park and White Birch Park and RV Campground on Lake Road
  • Was occupied by German POWs from September 7, 1944 to early 1946
  • At its maximum, it held 135 POWs
  • The POWs worked on local farms and in canning factories
  • When working outside the Camp, the POWs were not heavily guarded
  • The POWs were well fed and treated fairly. After the war, several former POWs moved back into the area

For detailed information and photos about this POW Camp

click on this link: https://historicsoduspoint.com/ww-ii-pow-camp-3/

Blessing of the Murals

 Blessing of the Murals In Sodus Point, New York
from Historic Sodus Point

This is the blessing of the murals that take place May 28 – June 1 and again July 11 – 16.  The shadow of the cross from the nearby Episcopal Church is positioned just right to make this happen!

Amazingly, from the Winter Solistice the shadow of the cross moves toward the south and stops moving farther south on the anniversary of the Battle of Sodus Point (June 19th) on that mural and crosses the figure of Asher Warner who was killed at the battle! Also the transition of the cross on the mural starts at 6:19 PM! Between June 1st and the summer solstice, the shadow of the cross make daily transitions across the mural covering numerous locations on the second mural. At various times during that period, every figure in the mural is touched by some part of the shadow of the cross.

After extensive research  on the internet, we believe that there is not a similar occurance anywhere in the world!

For more information and photos about the Blessing of the Murals as well as transition schedules

click this link: https://historicsoduspoint.com/blessing-of-the-murals/

Macyville Woods Nature Preserve

Macyville Woods is named for the section of Sodus Point called Macyville after Sylvanus J. Macy (click for more info)who developed the surrounding area when he became receiver of the new but struggling railroad in 1874.  A banker and businessman from NYC, he boosted the local economy by buying the land around the railroad, building a bank, and other structures to make the railroad successful. With the strategizing of a new partner Edward Harriman, the railroad was sold to the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1884 for a hefty profit. The woods was bought by the Genesee Land Trust (click for more info) in 2019 with a ribbon cutting ceremony on January 18th, 2020, officially opening it to the public.

 

Old Post Cards

Old Post Cards

Many post cards were created of our resort community. Here’s a selection of the Sunbeam and the Yacht Club. Click Here