Coal Trestle Reconstruction – 1927

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

 
In the 1870s, the original Coal Trestle was built that was 400 feet long and stood 40 feet above the water. It had two sets of rails on top that ran to its outer end with two coal pockets under each set of rails. As the years went by, the demand for coal increased and the coal boats used to transport the coal increased in size. In 1927 the dock was completely rebuilt with heavy yellow pine timbers and was extended to 800 feet in length and 60 feet in height, with eight pockets and chutes. In addition to the work on the new trestle, the company added a storage yard for up to 12,000 cars. A special thanks to Kenneth May for sharing these photos from the Hagley Museum and Library in Wilmington, Delaware showing the PRR Sodus Point coal trestle construction in 1927.